Our First Summer Vacation

Monday, July 5, 2010

Taking the ferry, Oh Canada, and bbrrrrr it's chilly!





Happy 4th of July!! We are in Canada, so no fireworks for us.  We also arrived a day too late to celebrate Canada Day here, on July 1st. Oh well.
We put our big old RV on a ferry to bring it over to Vancouver Island.  It was really easy, although I wasn't the one who had to drive it on.  The ferry ride across was about an hour and a half but it was really fun and went by quickly.  I was however very disappointed because I didn't see any whales on the way over.  Many people told me I was sure to see some from the ferry but I didn't, despite having my eyes glued to the ocean the entire way!

The Island is very beautiful and the city of Victoria is one of my new favorites.  Yesterday we visited Butchart Gardens for several hours.  My mom is with us on this part of our trip and she really enjoyed the flowers the most out of all of us.  Not to say the rest of us didn't like it, it's just not "our thing" as much as it is hers.

Today we took a Gray Line tour thru Victoria.  I really like these kinds of tours because they hit all of the highlights of fun places to visit, with a lot less work for us.  We got off at Fisherman's Wharf to look at all of the houseboats and fishing boats.  Saw a couple of spotted seals right next to the dock - cute!! The boys fed them some cod and took pictures of them.
Scott and the kids went to the Bug Zoo while my mom and I went to eat.  I can honestly say having a
millipede on my lip is not an idea of fun, so I guess I'm glad I missed that stop!  Scott would like me to add that he held a tarantula and a scorpion as well as many other bugs.

Another fun stop was the Empress Hotel.  This is a beautiful old hotel where you can have afternoon tea.  We opted not to do this as it is $55.00, and who wants to pay that for a cucumber sandwich anyway? In case I haven't mentioned it, Victoria is a really cool city!
Tomorrow I am taking my mom to the airport in the morning.  When I get back, we are headed out to go whale watching on a boat!  Hoping to get lots of good pictures! The next day we are packing up and heading an hour north on the island to a town called Nanaimo.  Lots of cool stuff to do up there as well... can't wait.

also... had to buy a sweatshirt and a jacket today, it is that chilly.

2 comments:

  1. Vancouver looks and sounds amazing my Dad loved it when he visited too. I need to take the family one day thanks for the great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely tickled taht you enjoyed visiting my home and native land! I love Victoria and Vancouver.... it is a different vibe , living out on th Pacific North West coast... Buchart gardens is very pretty in the summer, those also a sight to see around CHristmas time... it is decorated nicely for the holidays, though not as many plants growing in Decemebr in Canada! Next time, do go in for Tea at the Emperess Hotel. It is a little more that a cucumber sandwich....it is an experience! Nanimo is an artists enclave..a friend of mine paints there...apparently the light is brilliant there...whatever that means. Eyre friends, I am so pleased that you shared this blog with me. I will add it to my bookmarks...so cool, such a great summer experience.I look forward to the boys telling me more.... Thank you for the post cards, I shall add them to the bulletin board this afternoon.
    Sarah Potwin

    ReplyDelete